I Need Your Help To Find My “Grandmother” Name

Yes, you read that right…I need your help to find my “Grandmother” name. My step-son Jimi and his fiancé Hannah said “it’s time” that I pick my official name for their two baby boys, James and Silas. Little James is 1 year 8 months old and baby Silas is now 3 months old. To be perfectly honest, since I’m the step-mother I didn’t even think about a “Grandmother” name that the boys would call me. So Jimi and Hannah asked me to come up with my own name I’d like to be called. Yes, I’m smiling ear to ear.

First up, what the Grandmothers are being called: Jimi’s mother is being called “Mom Mom” and Hannah’s mom is “Grammy”. Of course…we all know that children sometimes end up calling grandparents something completely different than what you’d like!

Saw these adorable car magnets while we were on vacation in Ocean City, NJ.

In this day and age the classic names have branched off with many alternate choices. So I’m looking to you all for some suggestions on what “Grandmother” name I’ll use. (I’ve excluded the names already in use by the two Grandmothers.)

Here are just a few Grandmother names:

• Grandmother, Grandma, Grams & Granny – I only had one grandmother growing up – Granny Bess. Because of her, I will always associate that nickname to someone with grey hair, a crocheted afghan on the back of her couch, and a pretty glass candy jar filled with jelly beans on her coffee table. Those are my special memories that I hold dear. So to me, any of those names are held in high regard for a Grandmother at her the PLATINUM level in life!
  • Nanny / Nannie – This is too sentimental to me. Some very dear people in my life have and are called Nanny – and I just couldn’t use that name. My Mother in Law was Nanny.
  • MeeMaw – I’m not from the South plus I’d always think of “The Big Bang Theory” and Sheldon’s MeeMaw.
  • Geema – Abbreviated version of Grandma
  • Gma – Abbreviated version of Grandma
  • MiMi – Variation for “Mom Mom”
  • GiGi – Variation for “Grandma”
  • Glamma – I like this cute nickname, but honestly, I wouldn’t feel comfortable calling myself “Glamorous” anything!

Those are just a few of the names I know about off the top of my head – and I know there are A LOT more out there to be considered.

Would you please take a moment and let me know your suggestions and thoughts in the comments section below? I look forward to hearing your ideas!

💜 Jacque

• If you haven’t already subscribed to my blog – there is a place on this page that says Follow My Blog Via Email – put in your email address – then you’ll be notified when new my new blogs and videos are posted!!!

1. Lynn 27 July, 2019 at 11:26 Reply

JayJay would be cute! My first grand is only 2 months old and for now I’m Grammy but like you said it can change when they start talking. I also love Nanny, I had a Nanny 💗. These boys are very blessed to have so many special women in their lives!

2. Theresa 24 July, 2019 at 16:22 Reply

I googled Irish & Hispanic nicknames for Grandmas and found the following:
    What are some cute names for Grandma?
    Like the fairy in Peter Pan, Tinks or Tinkerbell is the perfect cutesy nickname for a grandma who is small and cute. Other cute nicknames for grandma include: Abbie or Abba. Bambi. Ba-nana. Boomie. Bubbles – for a grandma with a bubbly personality! Bunny.
    I like Bubbles as you do have a bubbly personality
    Some have mentioned Bela short for Abuela as well as Tita (in Tagalog means Aunt).
    I look forward to seeing what you decide.

3. Lesa 24 July, 2019 at 13:50 Reply

My friend, Mary’s stepgrandchild calls her
    G-Mary. You could be G-Jacque. It’s kind of cute and different!

4. cheryl 24 July, 2019 at 13:22 Reply

My granddaughter is almost 17 months She doesn’t call me anything just yet. I think I am going to go by “CC” (my name is Cheryl). Sorry, but Grandma just makes me feel so old, lol.

5. Janet Paulson Donahoe 24 July, 2019 at 01:46 Reply

My ancestry is Icelandic. Grandmother in Icelandic is Amma, pronounced Umma. The “um” is like the “um” in “yum”. I LOVE being called Amma! I love that Jimi & Hannah want you to be called Grandma, but with the version that you want. With so many names out there, I’m sure you will find something that fits you perfectly. You will be an awesome grandmother to the grandchildren!

6. Ali 24 July, 2019 at 00:01 Reply

Oma which is German for grandma or Omy a softer version. I also like GammyJ or GamJ for you kinda likeca spin off of you being a DJ back in the day.

7. Sandra Wolvin 23 July, 2019 at 22:01 Reply

I called my Grandma & Grandfather Granny & Grandad, they we’ve from Kentucky on my Dad’s side. There the ones I grew up with. My mom Mother passed away when my Mom was 18. My Mom’s Dad passed away when I was 6 months old.

8. Cynthia 23 July, 2019 at 21:29 Reply

I’ve always liked Granna which my cousin’s little grandkids call her. My grandmother was Mama Mazel shortened to MaMazel. Maybe MaJacque which little ones may hear as MyJacque!

• Gary Del Rio 24 July, 2019 at 07:31 Reply

I liked Glamma until I read your comment. I didn’t want to be called grandpa, so I had to come up with a name. I’m PapaG ;-]) Maybe this will help you think up more alternatives.
      GOD bless you, Jacque.

9. Bety Bracco 23 July, 2019 at 20:05 Reply

I really like Gigi or tita! Who knows maybe I’ll use one of those some day ! Lol🤗 actually I had a friend growing up that called her grandma Lita.

10. Missy 23 July, 2019 at 19:31 Reply

For some reason that I do not know, I called my step-dad’s mother Winnie the Pooh 😁 How wonderful that your step-son and his fiancé want you to have a special name for their children to call you! Anything you pick will be great!

11. Monica Duncil 23 July, 2019 at 19:20 Reply

Here in Kentucky, we say “Mamaw” instead of “Meemaw”. My friend became a Grandma in her early 40’s and now has 5 grandbabies at 50. They call her “Mammy”. Good luck…💙

12. Gary W. Del Rio 23 July, 2019 at 19:14 Reply

I liked Glamma until I read your comment. It’s not easy! I didn’t want to be called grandpa, so I had to pick my alternative name. I’m PapaG. ;-]) Maybe this will give you more ideas.

13. Lynda Olsen 23 July, 2019 at 19:13 Reply

I’m Nana to my Grandchildren. It was what I called my wonderful Grandmother and I have kept that tradition.

14. Lori 23 July, 2019 at 19:13 Reply

Hi! My son couldn’t say grandma right away so he said “gra” and that’s what she’s been for the last 17 years ❤️

15. Ellen 23 July, 2019 at 19:08 Reply

My cousin is a young grandma and goes by Gabi. My grandson calls me grandma and his other grandma nana. He called my mom GGgram.

16. Sue 23 July, 2019 at 19:01 Reply

I always like Lovie. I am Grammie to my 4 grands and of course love that too. Lovie kind of says it all. Congratulations, miss seeing you.

17. Teena Payzant 23 July, 2019 at 18:52 Reply

My boys call my mom Amma. They pronounce it like ‘awe-ma’. No idea where they came up with it, but it stuck 🙂

• Norma Henegar 23 July, 2019 at 20:12 Reply

I have a good friend that has her two Granddaughters to call her “Neenie.” I am a Nana, but I think her choice is not your ordinary name, and that’s why I like it!