I Need Your Help To Find My “Grandmother” Name
Yes, you read that right…I need your help to find my “Grandmother” name. My step-son Jimi and his fiancé Hannah said “it’s time” that I pick my official name for their two baby boys, James and Silas. Little James is 1 year 8 months old and baby Silas is now 3 months old. To be perfectly honest, since I’m the step-mother I didn’t even think about a “Grandmother” name that the boys would call me. So Jimi and Hannah asked me to come up with my own name I’d like to be called. Yes, I’m smiling ear to ear.
First up, what the Grandmothers are being called: Jimi’s mother is being called “Mom Mom” and Hannah’s mom is “Grammy”. Of course…we all know that children sometimes end up calling grandparents something completely different than what you’d like!
In this day and age the classic names have branched off with many alternate choices. So I’m looking to you all for some suggestions on what “Grandmother” name I’ll use. (I’ve excluded the names already in use by the two Grandmothers.)
Here are just a few Grandmother names:
- Grandmother, Grandma, Grams & Granny – I only had one grandmother growing up – Granny Bess. Because of her, I will always associate that nickname to someone with grey hair, a crocheted afghan on the back of her couch, and a pretty glass candy jar filled with jelly beans on her coffee table. Those are my special memories that I hold dear. So to me, any of those names are held in high regard for a Grandmother at her the PLATINUM level in life!
- Nanny / Nannie – This is too sentimental to me. Some very dear people in my life have and are called Nanny – and I just couldn’t use that name. My Mother in Law was Nanny.
- MeeMaw – I’m not from the South plus I’d always think of “The Big Bang Theory” and Sheldon’s MeeMaw.
- Geema – Abbreviated version of Grandma
- Gma – Abbreviated version of Grandma
- MiMi – Variation for “Mom Mom”
- GiGi – Variation for “Grandma”
- Glamma – I like this cute nickname, but honestly, I wouldn’t feel comfortable calling myself “Glamorous” anything!
Those are just a few of the names I know about off the top of my head – and I know there are A LOT more out there to be considered.
Would you please take a moment and let me know your suggestions and thoughts in the comments section below? I look forward to hearing your ideas!
- If you haven’t already subscribed to my blog – there is a place on this page that says “Follow My Blog Via Email” – put in your email address – then you’ll be notified when new my new blogs and videos are posted!!!